Robert L. (Bob) Kaufman
Before you contact me about an error when using ICALC, try all of the following (adapted from Long & Freese):
- Make sure you have the most recent version of Stata and of ICALC installed.
- Check the relevant discussion of the issue in my book, especially in Chapter 6 which is a manual for using ICALC.
- If you are using the SIGREG or EFFDISP tools and requesting the effect type “spost”:
- Make sure you have the most recent version of SPOST13 installed
- Check the relevant discussion of the issue in Long and Freese (2014)
- Verify that you are using the correct variables by examining their descriptive statistics
- Determine if your error is general or restricted to your data. I.e., see if you can reproduce the error doing the same analysis of a different dataset.
- Check that the value labels for your variables only contain letters, numbers and underscores . Theoretically this should not matter but it sometimes does.
Only if the steps above don’t help, e-mail me and do the following:
- Attach a copy of the data (please use a dropbox link if a large dataset)
- Attach a basic do-file which only reads the data, estimates your model and then runs the commands which are generating the error(s).
- Include comments in your do-file describing the problem and providing your name and contact information.
- Attach a copy of the log file (the contents of the Output window) in text format